Baird Crest Header Design



In todays post, some may remember this blog design I had a while back. I wanted to explain the meaning for the different parts of the artwork. I used this for an assignment for one of my college courses where the assignment was to design a crest for yourself and so this was mine.

1. Hogwarts - When I was young I was a huge fan of the Harry Potter series.
2. The Little Mermaid - Many years before being a Harry Potter fan I was a fan of Disney's 'The Little Mermaid' which led to me having great interest in the mythological mermaid.
3. Pine Trees - Growing up my family had a pine tree farm which I have done countless hours of work tending to. These trees are now funding my college education.
4. Mt. Timpanogos - In the Heber Valley where I live the prominent mountain is Mt. Timpanogos, which has the image of a sleeping princess.
5. LDS Salt Lake Temple - I am a Mormon and as part of our beliefs in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints we believe in temples and they hold great significance to us. My favorite LDS temple is the one located in Salt Lake City.
6. Dominus Fecit - This saying is found on my family's crest and means 'The Lord Made'
7. Boar - many of the oldest of the Baird family crest had a boar, the boar was important to my family then because one of the Bairds saved the king of Scotland from a wild boar and in return gave the Bairds a large portion of land.
8. Griffin - The griffin is the current symbol on the Baird crest.
9. Dragon - With many of my affinities I have loved the grace and grandeur of the dragon, my favorite being Disney's Maleficent.
10. Cinderella Castle - Cinderella Castle stands as the symbol for the Walt Disney World resort, there I gained a love for the variety of architecture and storytelling presented and inspired me to pursue a career in Themed Entertainment Design, not to mention gave me an obvious deep love for Disney.
11. Oz - In 2010 I helped with two productions of the famous musical 'The Wizard of Oz' shortly after I served as a full time mission for two years for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Queensland Australia, and I found many references from the Oz stories which related to Australia.
12. Southern Utah - Utah is my home state and most noted for the red sandstone landscape.
13. Scrollwork - While I was in Australia I interacted with many polynesian cultures and common through many was the use of Tattoos to chart their family history. I love the symbolism so I created my own, each swirl represents a family member starting with my parents then going grand parents and so on. the end designs are meant to represent a polynesian design call the 'ancestors teeth' which represents the many generations continuing back. I also included my sister as the first swirl on the right side.
Thanks for taking the time to read a bit about me, and leave a comment and tell me what you think....

0 comments:

Post a Comment